In the Northwest of Istria, they have a relatively new initiative, Bike Friendly Points, a specially equipped corner in a shop, or other marked location, which offers a range of services and equipment, with basic tools, spare parts available and access to local cycling information. The are strategically located within close proximity to cycling trails and can be easily identified by the Bike Friendly Point sign.
What do the Bike Friendly Points specifically offer:
- Cycling trail maps and local cycling brochures
- Contact numbers for local services, transfers, bike taxi's, and most importantly emergency assistance
- Downloads of GPS coordinates for cycling trails
- Bike rack's
- Tools and equipment for bike servicing
- Pump's for tyres
- Inner tubes
- Spare tyres
- Bike washing facilities and equipment
Facilities participating in the Bike Friendly Point, at a minimum meet the aforementioned criteria, however, some have gone above and beyond this and offer more services.
This is another pro-active super useful initiative undertaken by Istria. The question is how long must we wait before this expands across the country.